Help your child learn about the stages of metamorphosis!
- Target Age: 3-6
- Learning Goals: animals, vocabulary
- Related Episodes: Episode 4268: Elmo and the Monarch Butterfly
- Visit your local library with your child and look at pictures in books of butterflies just like Elmo and Telly did.
- While looking at the pictures, point out how a butterfly starts as an egg, changes into a caterpillar, then a chrysalis, and finally a beautiful butterfly. This big change is also called a metamorphosis.
- Now that you know about the stages of butterflies, act out the process of metamorphosis. Together think about ways to show each step.
- Start out as tiny eggs, rolled up in a ball on the floor!
- Next, wiggle around the ground like hungry caterpillars looking for leaves to eat!
- Then, stand with your arms touching above your head as you hide in your chrysalis!
- Finally spread your wings and fly away like a butterfly!