Create self portraits and autobiographies
- Target Age: 3-5
- Learning Goals: art, diversity appreciation & understanding, social & emotional development
- Related Episode: Francine's Bad Hair Day
- art supplies
- child-safe scissors
- construction paper
- craft supplies (yarn, string, ribbon, etc.)
- drawing paper
It's picture day at your house!
- Create: Help your children make pictures of themselves. Let them choose any materials and styles they want (e.g., a child may choose to have a blue face and orange hair). Reassure children that their portraits can be whatever they want them to be.
- Write: Mount the pictures on construction paper. Ask each child to tell you something about himself or herself, such as a recent experience or a favorite activity. Write the information below the child's portrait. Display the art in your home.
Provide dress-up clothes and play cameras for "picture day" make-believe.
With a Group
Create an exhibit with kids' portraits. Invite friends and family to tour the exhibit, read the autobiographies, and admire the art.
Based on an activity in Play and Learn with Arthur, Volume 1.