Give an old song a new twist.
- Target Age: 3-5
- Learning Goals: art, creative thinking & problem solving, language & literacy, music
- Related Episode: The Ballad of Buster Baxter
Help your children make up new words to a familiar song.
- Choose: Choose a familiar song, such as "If You're Happy and You Know It."
- Change: Have your children think of new words and some movements. They can base their new lyrics on the ARTHUR characters, or on other favorite literary characters. For instance:
- Sing: Write the lyrics on paper, and point to the words as you sing the new song together.
Help your children appreciate different types of music. Borrow tapes and CDs from friends or the local library, listen to different radio stations in the car, and check your community newspaper for free musical events like concerts and parades.
With a Group
Invite some friends over for a sing-along. Encourage everyone in the group to teach a song to the others.
Based on an activity in Play and Learn with Arthur, Volume 1.