Draw up some unique dishes.
- Target Age: 3-5
- Learning Goals: art, creative thinking & problem solving, language & literacy, life skills
- Related Episode: Dad's Dessert Dilemma
- art supplies
- cookbooks and food magazines (with pictures)
Help your children dictate their own versions of real recipes.
- Write a recipe: Help your children find pictures of food in cookbooks and food magazines. Ask them to tell you how to make the food. Write down their instructions. You may need to ask questions, like: What ingredients do you need? How long do you cook it? Encourage children to use specific words to describe color, size, shape, texture, and taste. (The recipes can be hilarious, so try to keep a straight face!)
- Illustrate: Have children illustrate their recipes.
Help kids cook something from a children's cookbook such as Pretend Soup by Mollie Katzen and Ann Henderson.
With a Group
Create a Big Book by writing the story on large pieces of paper. Have teams of children illustrate the pages, and invite friends and family to hear the story read aloud.
Based on an activity in Play and Learn with Arthur, Volume 2.