Grow beans from the ground up.
- Target Age: 3-5
- Learning Goals: language & literacy, life skills, science & health, social & emotional development
- Related Episode: Clarissa Is Cracked
- beans (pole, lima or snap beans are easy to grow)
- masking tape
- paper cups
- potting soil
- shallow tray
Grow and care for your plants with your children.
- Prepare: Soak the beans overnight so they will grow faster. Poke holes in the bottom of the cups with a fork.
- Plant: Talk with your children about plants, explaining that they need water and light to live. Help each child fill 3/4 of a paper cup with dirt, and plant a bean under a shallow layer. Children can write their names on masking tape to identify their cups. Place the cups in a shallow tray in a sunny area.
- Nurture: Show children how to water their beans, and discuss how the plants change as they grow.
Based on an activity in Play and Learn with Arthur, Volume 1.