Delve into diversity.
- Target Age: 3-5
- Learning Goals: diversity, appreciation & understanding, language & literacy, life skills, social & emotional development
- Related Episode: Sue Ellen Moves In
- Hello! Goodbye!by Aliki
- music from diverse cultures
- picture books from and about diverse cultures
Providing daily exposure to various cultures will enrich your children's experiences, and enable them to appreciate and share their own heritage.
- Read and dance: Tap into the resources of your community to find books and music that you can share with your children. Read stories to your kids about contemporary children in different countries. Invite children to dance to the music of different cultures.
- Learn many greetings: Read Hello! Goodbye! by Aliki. Sing the song "Hello Everybody" (below) as you teach the word for hello in several languages.
Ask your children to talk about their own heritage and what it means to them.
Look for cultural organizations holding events in your community. Invite family or friends to share their childhood experiences in other countries or among various U.S. cultures. Ask your guests to teach your children a game, song, dance, or greeting specific to their country or culture.
Based on an activity in Play and Learn with Arthur, Volume 1.